Garbage Disposal Repair & Replacement
How Do I Know if I Need a New Garbage Disposal?
When you flip the switch to turn on the garbage disposal and all you get is a hum or a loud, metal-on-metal grinding noise – you know something’s wrong. Not sure if replacement is the best option? We can help!
You might consider replacement if you are experiencing recurring clogs, dull blades, having to press the reset button frequently or other recurring issues that can’t be fixed easily, such as leaks and odors. The plumbing experts at Bi-County Inc will make sure it’s really broken before starting a garbage disposal replacement by…
- Looking for a Jam: Something too tough to grind, such as a piece of glass, could be jamming the motor and removal might be possible if damage has not occurred.
- Turning the Motor Manually: Rotating a hex wrench back and forth until the motor turns a full revolution, then switching on the motor may fix the problem.
- Pressing the Reset Button: If the motor doesn’t start after manually turning it, we will try pushing the reset button. If your motor has overheated by working too long because of a jam, wait five minutes for it to cool down, then push the reset button.
If Your Old Garbage Disposal is Finally Dead…
When you’re shopping for a new disposal, there are several factors to take into consideration. Let Bi-County help you figure out what kind of garbage disposal you need:
- Think about who will be using the disposal: If you have children who will be using the disposal, batch feed disposals require the use of a stopper prior to operation, which can be safer. Continuous feed disposals start running when you flip a switch and keep running until you switch it off.
- Choose a motor that’s right for your household: Models with lower horsepower are suitable for small households with a small amount of food waste. Models with 1/2 horsepower are better for larger households with more food waste.
- Consider the features you want the disposal to have: You can buy a disposal made to function more quietly, one made from stainless steel, or one that connects to your dishwasher.
- What kind of plumbing do you have at your home: If your plumbing is connected to a septic tank, you might need to buy a disposal made especially for septic tanks.
Whether you need repair or replacement or advice about how to care for your particular garbage disposal, the expert plumbing technicians at Bi-County are experienced with all makes and models. We can diagnose and repair your existing disposal or recommend the best model for your needs and install your brand new garbage disposal quickly and professionally.
Bi-County Inc is ready to help you solve your garbage disposal issues! To schedule an appointment, click to contact us today or call 215-822-0515.