Is Your Thermostat Positioned On The Wrong Wall?
Energy-Saving Tips From Your HVAC Team In Chalfont, PA
Are your utility bills too high? Do you feel your home is not warm enough? Your continuing discomfort and rising energy costs in your home might be due to a thermostat control product in an inappropriate location. To get accurate temperature readings, they should be optimally located. The HVAC specialists at Bi-County Inc explain the do’s and don’ts of your thermostat position.
5 Places You Shouldn’t Put Your Thermostat
Your thermostat senses the temperature in the vicinity you have placed it. When it does not match your desired setting, it signals your furnace, air conditioner or heat pump to turn on. Certain areas in your home can trick your thermostat into thinking that it is warmer or colder than it feels to you. Here are some thermostat position to avoid:
- In Direct Sunlight: The sun rays could make the thermostat area hotter than the rest of your home, resulting in false readings.
- Near Windows and Doors: Exposure to outdoor air makes the area around the thermostat feel cooler or warmer than the center of your home and causes the discrepancy.
- Above Air Vents: The air from your furnace or air conditioner will reach your thermostat first. This results in the system turning off before the rest of your home is warm or cold enough.
- In the Kitchen or Hallway: The stove and oven make your kitchen warmer than other rooms. On the other hand, the hallway is often cooler when compared to occupied areas.
- Near Lamps, Fireplace or TV: They emit heat which could skew your thermostat readings.
What Is The Best Place For Thermostat Position?
Determining the right location requires a bit of thought. For instance, consider which rooms in which you and your family spend the most time. You want these areas to be comfortable. Ideally the best place to put your thermostat is in the center of your home at around 50 to 60 inches above the floor. This will prevent temperature swings and allow for more accurate readings.
The proper thermostat position helps maintain consistent indoor temperatures and keeps your energy bills in check. Some newer models have remote sensors to compare average readings from different spots. At Bi-County, we have a range of thermostat solutions to meet your needs. Many homeowners choose control products with smart technology which allow you to changing settings via your cellphone. Let us help you install the right thermostat in the ideal location for your home!
Our experienced technicians are committed to optimizing your comfort and energy savings. Take advantage of Bi-County Inc’s preventative maintenance programs to avoid costly repairs and keep the HVAC system in your Bucks County, PA home working efficiently throughout the year.