Water Heating Systems
When selecting a new water heating system for your home, contact the professionals at Bi-County Inc. to help you choose one that will not only provide enough hot water but will also do so efficiently, saving you money. This includes considering the different types of water heaters available and determining the right size and fuel source for your home.
Types of Water Heaters
It’s a good idea to know the different types of water heaters available before you purchase one:
- Conventional storage water heaters offer a ready reservoir (storage tank) of hot water
- Tankless coil & indirect water heaters use a home’s space heating system to heat water
- Tankless or On-demand water heaters heat water directly without the use of a storage tank
- Heat pump water heaters move heat from one place to another instead of generating heat directly for providing hot water
- Solar water heaters use the sun’s heat to provide hot water
When selecting the best type and model of water heater for your home, consider the following:
- Fuel Type – The fuel type or energy source you use for water heating will not only affect the water heater’s annual operation costs but also its size and energy efficiency.
- Size – To provide your household with enough hot water and to maximize efficiency, you need a properly sized water heater.
- Energy Efficiency – To maximize your energy and cost savings, you want to know how energy efficient a water heater is before you purchase it.
- Costs – Before you purchase a water heater, it’s also a good idea to estimate its annual operating costs and compare those costs with other less or more energy-efficient models.
Exploring Water Heater Options by Fuel Type
When selecting a new water heater, it’s important to consider what fuel type or energy source you will use, including its availability and cost. The fuel used by a water heating system will not only affect annual operation costs but also the water heater’s size and energy efficiency. Fuel type and its availability in your area may narrow your water heater choices. The following is a list of water heater options by fuel or energy source:
- Fuel Oil – Utilized to fuel conventional storage water heaters and indirect combination water / space heating systems.
- Electricity – Utilized to fuel conventional storage, tankless or demand-type, and heat pump water heaters. It also can be used with combination water and space heating systems, which include tankless coil and indirect water heaters.
- Geothermal Energy – Available to those with a geothermal heat pump system installed in their homes for space heating and cooling.
- Natural Gas – Utilized to fuel conventional storage and demand (tankless or instantaneous) water heaters, as well as combination water and space heating systems, which include tankless coil and indirect water heaters.
- Propane – Utilized to fuel conventional storage and demand (tankless or instantaneous) water heaters, as well as indirect combination water and space heating systems.
- Solar Energy – Utilized to power solar water heaters.