Safeguard Your Home with a Whole Home Air Purifier
What is an Air Quality Action Day?
Recently, here in Bucks County PA, we experienced several days of a level orange Air Quality Index (AQI) Alert. AQI is used by government agencies to communicate to the public how polluted the air currently is or how polluted it is forecast to become over a specified period of time. As the AQI rises, an increasingly large percentage of the population is likely to experience increased adverse health effects. Whole home air purifier systems can remove particulate matter and other hard-to-remove impurities such as dust, pollen, pet dander, dust mites and spores.
What Causes the AQI to Rise?
The AQI can rise due to an increase of air pollutants or from a lack of dilution of these air particulates. Particulate matter is made up of tiny particles of chemicals, soil, smoke, dust, exhaust or allergens in the form of gas or solids, that are carried in the air.
Temperature inversion events that can cause air stagnation, strongly correlate with poor air quality. When this occurs, like in the vicinity of a warm front, normal atmospheric convection is prevented causing an air mass to remain over a region for an extended period. Due to the light winds and lack of precipitation, pollutants cannot be cleared from the area trapping them close to the ground. It can lead to the air becoming still and murky from the collection of particulates that are no longer able to be lifted from the surface.
AQI Action Days & Alerts
Action days are usually called when the AQI gets into the unhealthy ranges. A code orange AQI alert means that air pollution concentrations within the region may become unhealthy for sensitive groups. Sensitive groups include children, people suffering from asthma, heart disease or lung diseases and the elderly. This provides an easy means to communicate the quality of the air and these sensitive groups to adjust their activity levels during increased levels of air pollution.
Short Term Adverse Health Effects
Particle pollution can be a problem at any time of the year and can cause serious health problems. Depending on how sensitive you are, the level of the alert and the amount of exposure, you may experience the following short-term effects:
- Irritated eyes, watering eyes, and/or conjunctivitis
- Running nose, stuffy nose, sneezing, and/or post-nasal drip
- Throat irritation, dry throat, sore throat and/or coughing
- Headache, dizziness and/or fatigue
- Decreased lung function, lower respiratory immunity, chest pain, bronchitis, asthma attacks
- Anxiety, stress and/or depression-like symptoms such as insomnia and irritability
These symptoms are usually mild and will subside when you stay indoors and limit your exposure to the situation. However, in susceptible individuals and those suffering from chronic disease, especially respiratory issues and heart disease, their conditions may be worsened.
How To Protect Yourself & Your Loved Ones:
- When possible, stay indoors and close all windows and openings that allow polluted air to enter.
- Turn on a whole home air purification system that is equipped with a HEPA filter. Only a HEPA filter is 99.97% effective at removing these fine particles from the air.
- Even though most AC filters are not HEPA filters, an air conditioner is still helpful because fresh air intake is limited. Be sure to keep your HVAC system in tip-top condition with regular maintenance services.
- If you must go outdoors, minimize the effects of air pollution by avoiding strenuous activity or exercise. Make it short and quick and wear a N95 face mask or higher.
- If you are obliged to drive, get a real air purifier for your car that comes with HEPA and activated carbon filters. The average car air filter can’t remove exhaust, let alone harmful particulates.
- Boost your body’s resistance against harmful particulates and blunt the negative effects by increasing your intake of water and nutrients such as: omega-3 fatty acids, vitamin C, vitamin E and B vitamins.
- If the air pollution is expected to last for many days, consider temporarily relocating to an unaffected locale.
A Whole Home Air Purifier Removes Pollutants Throughout Your Home
The team at Bi-County Inc is ready to install the right air purifying system for your home. Our event-based whole home air is unlike air cleaners that only work when your heating and cooling system is running. You can control when and how the air purifier works based on day-to-day conditions and activities.
Let us advise you on how to enhance the indoor air quality of your home and optimize your HVAC system’s efficiency. Our certified technicians are available for timely and precise installation, repairs and replacement. Trust Bi-County’s years of experience matching heating, cooling, air filtration and plumbing solutions to homeowner’s needs. Click to schedule an appointment online for your clean air consultation or call us today at 215-822-0515!