Whole Home Humidification Systems vs. Portable Humidifiers
Feel Cozy at Lower Thermostat Settings for Energy Savings
Many homes and businesses throughout the Bucks & Montgomery County area depend on home humidification systems to keep indoor air healthy and pleasant. Humidifiers keep moisture balanced to protect the home, improve air quality, and keep occupants feeling comfortable. There are many humidification products on the market, but not all are created equally.
- Whole Home Humidifiers work with a building or residence’s heating and cooling systems to add needed moisture to the air as it circulates. They are installed between the supply and return air ducts, and work either with the HVAC system or independently to add moisture.
- Portable Humidifiers are stand-alone appliances that add moisture directly into the air of the room they are situated in.
Which Is Better: Whole Home Humidification Systems or a Portable Humidifier?
As with any type of equipment, there are advantages and disadvantages to everything. Ultimately, they best humidifier choice will depend on the specific indoor air quality challenges you face at home or at work. Overall, a whole home humidifier is a better choice versus a portable humidifier because:
- A whole home humidifier is connected to the HVAC duct system – it efficiently supplies the entire home with properly moisturized air. They also have a much larger capacity to provide coverage for an entire home. Portable humidifiers have much lower capacities and only work in the room they are installed.
- A whole home humidifier requires minimal maintenance – these units are connected to the home’s plumbing system, so water is fed directly to the unit. Portable humidifiers have a water reservoir that requires filling to ensure the unit has the water needed to keep indoor humidity at the proper balance point.
- A whole home humidifier is out of sight and out of mind – they provide necessary moisture without intrusion. Portable humidifiers produce operating noise from the fan and bubbling water, which can be bothersome to users.
- A whole home humidifier consumes less energy – to balance humidity across an entire home than a portable humidifier does to humidify air in one room of the home. A whole home humidifier operates efficiently and affordably.
When To Use A Portable Humidifier
Just because portable humidifiers are not superior for whole home humidification doesn’t mean they don’t serve a purpose. There are a few situations where using one will come in handy:
- A portable humidifier is necessary when ductwork does not exist in your older home.
- A portable humidifier is a great solution for renters. Humidity can be added to the home’s air without the need to work through a landlord to install a whole home humidifier.
- A portable humidifier is a good way to temporarily boost humidity in a particular area of the home. It can be very beneficial when someone is sick, experiencing dry-air irritation, or suffering allergy symptoms.
Count on Bi-County Inc to help you decide which humidification products are the right choice for your comfort. We can install a new whole home humidification systems to connect directly with your plumbing and work with your home’s central heating system and cooling system. And our experts are always available to preform maintenance and repairs to your existing HVAC equipment.